Sunday, January 29, 2012

You have my heart


I had such a fun time making the origami flower in THIS post,
I wanted to try origami again.

After a bit of internet research, I came across this SITE with both
written and video tutorial on the beauty above.
They suggested making the heart from money to gift.
Now, that is what I call a good gift.  :)

I was totally inspired and off I went to find some paper.
I ended up choosing 3 different colors,
as I wanted to make 3 different size hearts.

The cast of characters:


Paper
Paper Cutter or Scissors
Embellishments
Ribbon


I cut my paper as follows:

Pink - Same size as a money bill ($1 I'm a big spender)
Purple - Sheet of 8.5X11 cut on the short side
Red - Sheet of 8.5X11 cut on the long side


Here are the steps.
It seems like a lot, but one heart takes about 3 minutes total.



Take your paper and fold both ends in a 45 degree angle down
Flatten back down and repeat the 45 degree angles up.
In my pic, I flipped by sheet of paper and did a down fold again.
Same difference. :)
See the cool-criss cross you got going on?



Take one side of the folds and bring both ends to meet.
This will create a triangle to your right.
Press down on the triangle.
Repeat on the other side.



Once you have both ends completed, take the right side 
and fold it over the left.
Fold over both corners on the right in 45 degree angles.



Take that same half and fold back over the 2 small,
45 degree angles.
Now you will have a diamond shape, made up of 2 triangles.
Take each leg of the triangles and fold up so it meets the point 
of the triangle.
Repeat for each of the 4 legs.



Open the middle and press the tip of the folded legs to middle of the diamond
Repeat for each leg.
This will leave you with for small diamonds
Take the  sides of the diamonds and fold them in
toward the middle of the small diamond.
It will leave you with a kite shape.
Now take each of those folds, open the middle and press the tip
towards the middle of the diamond.
Repeat for each side of the diamond, 8 folds.



You are now finished with the front!
Turn the heart around and take the top piece of paper
and fold it down to the tip of the heart.
Fold over the tips of of the side of the heart to finish the look.


Here is the finished product, without and extras.
Then with a sparkly jewel set in the middle.

Since I was not using money for this origami,
I whipped out the glue gun and added the jewel.
I also glued down the side folds of the heart in the back.
I then added a ribbon for hanging.

Here are my completely finished hearts!






The bottom of the hearts are open so you can attach them to anything.
I added on to the frame above.

Gratuitous Plug: How cute is my 3 month old little man in that pic. I just want to eat him up  

You could also add them to a card or use as a bookmark.
The ribboned hearts can be gift tags, or stand alone ornaments.

I really loved making these and think the bling gives them a little sumpin' sumpin'

Happy Valentines Day!

XOXO

Photobucket

Featured on!



ornamentplace.com




































Linking up to these great parties:















38 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love origami. I would like to invite you to share at our sharing party at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday-4.html. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! And your tutorial is great and easy to follow! New follower! Great site! Not Your Ordinary Agent
    Not Your Ordinary Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty! Perfect for Valentine's Day! My mother folds $20 bills into origami hearts and gives them to her grandkids on their birthday. I can't wait to show her this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Now if only I had the patience! Visiting from Debbie Dos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really pretty! Thanks for sharing how to make them! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very cute! Mine would come out looking like a 2 year old made them - no, wait - the 2 year old's would look better!!! BUT, I have some extra paper on hand....

    ReplyDelete
  7. How clever and beautiful! Thanks so much for linking up with M-I-Y Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So elegant! I just love these! Thanks so much for linking up to my Valentine Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, those are gorgeous, I shall have to try this fold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so pretty! Last year I made lots of paper stars for my boyfriend, this year I will have to give this a go!
    Feel free to link up on my blogs linky party!
    http://toastiestudio.blogspot.com/search/label/made%20monday

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these origami hearts and hope you will link them up to my Show It Off Thursdays party at:

    http://ornamentplace.com/?p=1875

    Thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very, very cute! I will even give them an attempt :0)

    Thanks so much for taking the time to share at Pin'Inspiration Thursday. Hope to see you on Saturday to help "Beat the Winter Blues". Have an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I'm inspired to try some origami again. Haven't done it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks complicated but I'm goin to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome! definately pinning. I want to try it, but i guess I have to wait til after kiddie bedtime...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also really like origami. SO lucky for you to find a site that shared instruction and a video. It does look hard but Im going to give it a try. Thanks for giving us a link back to the site if we need more info. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't know what happened to my post - but here I go again. Love origami, and this heart is so beauty. It does look hard, and thanks for providing the original link. I think I might give it a try. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am putting this on my list to make today for a certain Valentine. Love this. I would love it if you shared at our Link It Up Thursday party. http://thesepeastastefunny.blogspot.com/2012/02/link-it-up-thursday-5.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am horrible at origami. These are inspiring. Good luck from Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love orgami, I used to do it all the time. You inspire me to go get some paper in pretty colors!

    I hope you don't mind but I'm trying to get the word out...
    If you are worried about the fact that google friend connect is being discontinued even eventually for blogger blogs then please come read my latest blog post, I'm trying to get the info out there about MR. LINKY'S new FOLLOWER tool!! Yes, the same guy who wrote the cool linky tool has now put out a FREE Follower tool!! Come on over and read all about it.
    Best,
    Jennifer McLean from www.justaddwatersilly.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! brilliant work. I will try this...
    I'm your follower and love your blog. I'm hosting valentine giveaway. please take time to visit my blog and leave comment.
    http://www.daffysdream.blogspot.in/2012/02/valentine-days-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, those are SO SO cute!! Awesome job! I may give that a try (but, I'll have to really pay attention to your tute-- that looks complicated!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. It's actually pretty easy after the first time. You can do it!

      Delete
  24. these are really lovely. I'm useless at oragami - even with really good instructions, but i'm gonna pin this anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So pretty, Melysa! Thank you for sharing this tutorial and the links! I really enjoy working with paper crafts and am always looking for something new and different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Try this one, I thought it was really fun and had quite the impact when done. :)

      Delete
  26. Thanks so much for the Feature, Danielle! I am thrilled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is beautiful! I'd love for you to stop over and share at Mix it up Monday:

    http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/mix-it-up-monday.html

    I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! That's so impressive! So pretty too! Glad you shared at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job!! My fingers just don't work that way. Your right the bling looks fantastic on them. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You were featured today at:

    http://ornamentplace.com/?p=2127

    Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Origami! Thanks for the tutorial! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!