Saturday, February 11, 2012

DIY Damask Cabinet


We bought this lovely little cabinet at a local Amish market.
It had clean lines, solid construction and I fell in love.
Plus, we always need storage.


We brought it home and it found a permanent spot in our entryway.
Then I spent a few months trying to decide
how to finish it.

Paint? Stain? What color?
I tend to waffle, so the best decision was no decision.

Then I saw THIS this incredible tutorial from Twice Lovely!
It was exactly what I was looking for!
It had the added oompf this little cabinet needed.
But I wasn't sure on the color.

Again I waffled.
White with gray? Black with dark gray?

And then I saw this beauty on Pinterest from Joss and Main! 
(Jossandmain.com)
The stars had aligned.
The heavens opened.
I stopped waffling.


I decided to try spray painted the cabinet for a smooth finished effect.
I also decided that I could stencil the damask on with high gloss poly.

Having never spray painted furniture, I did some web research and it seemed
pretty easy and straight forward.

Primer.
Two light, even coats of black Satin Spray Paint and voila!
Yeah, no.

To achieve my sought after look, it took 6.5 CANS of spray paint.
That raw wood sucked up the paint immediately.
At can 4, I almost gave up and bought regular paint.
But I trudged on, and honestly
I was really pleased with the results.

Here I am getting ready to start.
See that one can of black?
Oh how naive.



Primed and ready.


Can #1 of Satin Black.
EEEK!
After seeing this I was a bit terrified.


After cans #2 & 3
A bit better, but come on!


Can #4
Why do I have splotches?


Can #5
Wow, getting better...


Can # 6.  
I stopped here and gave the cabinet a very light sanding.


After 6.5 cans, I finally had that lovely solid black color.


Here she is back in the entryway.
So pretty!
But we aren't done yet.


It's damask time!
I decided to free hand the damask print using my craft projector.
I already had the high gloss poly and just
went online to fine a few damask clip art vector imagines I liked.


I decided on this guy after projecting the images on the cabinet.
I was going to use the image twice.
Once on the top half of the cabinet and 
then invert and for the bottom.


Here you can see the projected image.
I used a pencil to trace the image on the cabinet.
Then I traced with my small paint brushes and filled in with the poly.


Here is the top image all done.


Here is the bottom complete and all done! 


I love how it came out!
Jaime came over and commented on how cool the effect was and that the cabinet
looked embossed/watermarked.
Said it reminded him of the Metallica Black Album.

Here are some close up shots.
Just the right amount of detail.




Here is a view of the inside.
All ready to be filled up.




Now I have to find some new knobs.
I think I want some cool glass ones.  
Not sure yet...Any suggestions?



Photobucket

Featured on:

made in a day









Tuesday To Do FEatured




A Little Inspiration



Linking up to the these great parties:















49 comments:

  1. That looks beautiful. From plain jane to super elegant. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.O.V.E it!
    Congrats, Melysa :)

    (Visiting from Polkadot.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great technique! I love the tone on tone look. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project - Already a follower but now am Following through Linky Followers. Please follow back at TheStuffofSuccess. Have a terrific day - Athena

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh! It looks amazing! I NEED one of those craft projectors! I has no idea you could get a little projector like that!!! I'm visiting from Nifty Thrifty Things.... now following you on linky tools. :)

    Would love you to pop by and visit sometime!!
    Kathryn@www.uglyducklingtransformations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grea job and so love it. Keep the sharing for us up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from the Linky Follower Party Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I am your newest Linky follower and would LOVE for you to follow me back!! I also have a blog hop going on amd would love you to link this up!! THANKS!!!

    http://www.randeesorganizedchaos.com/2012/02/sleppy-sunday-linky-party-with-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Love the transformation!!!! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... I forgot to tell you I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :) Hello! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog and for following me! I'm now following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks amazing! I love the your end results....beautiful. I have a couple of cabinets that need a face-lift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is amazing. You must be so pleased with your efforts. Thanks for sharing. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! Consider sharing with my readers at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/02/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-11.html !

    Happy Valentine's Day,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh My Goodness- I LOVE THIS! It really turned out so good! I especially love the design! And Thanks so much for linking it up on Six Sister's Stuff! Hope to see you again next Saturday with more good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that turned out great! I think glass knobs would look amazing on it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the cabinet looks wonderful! Love the tone on tone! Visiting from Sunday's Best Party! Drop by my blog sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Melysa, stopping by from The Girl creative link party. Your cabinet really turned out great and I love the damasks! Good job! Thanks for sharing.
    Greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  19. Melysa, you did a great job. I have "pinned" a picture of your chest of drawers to my pintrest selections :)
    Hugs
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooooh, pretty! Great job! What a difference before and after! Thanks so much for linking up at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  21. While I was admiring your work the other day, i forgot to Linky-follow you :)
    Now I'm back and mistake fixed.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all for such kind comments! I have followed back all who requested and am so happy to have you all checking in on me. :)

    XOXO Melysa

    ReplyDelete
  23. How beautiful! I love how it turned out, Melysa! What a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great makeover. Looks so much better in black.

    I am actually coming to your site from the FOLLOWERS linky blog hop, and am following you. Will you follow me back?? Thank you so much when you do.

    There is also a party on our blog today, where you can feature 'your best creative work'.

    Use this link to do both: http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party/

    Have a happy day! Hope to seeing you around!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Rose! I linked up and am your newest follower. :)

      Delete
  25. What a great way to spruce up a cabinet! That is so pretty and subtle!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very pretty! Won't you come and link it up at my first linky party? Thanks!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Stacey! I love your blog and am your newest follower.

      XOXO Melysa

      Delete
  27. Featured you on the One Artsy Mama Facebook page today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I swear you would never know it was the same piece, but what really put it over the top is the damask, and the tone on tone is quite stunning. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday’s Best Par.tay! Following you on linky - hope you follow back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am a follower Cathy. I love your blog and your party. XOXO, Melysa

      Delete
  29. that is lovely!!! I LOVE IT! Featuring it tomorrow at my TOP 10 form Create and Inspire Party!

    Thanks for linking up last week!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is really nice. I just love a nice damask! I unfortunately have had this 6 cans of paint problem. Pine and other soft woods REALLY need to be sealed with oil based primer. I know that oil based paints are a pain, but so is not getting the results you want. I'm following you on LF would love for you to follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow!!! I love this, the tone-on-tone is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your hard work and perseverance paid off! The cabinet looks FABULOUS!

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for your contribution to our 'Time for a Party' link-up. This cabinet makeover is really professional.

    Tomorrow we'll open a new party at http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/ and we'd love to see you there then again with a beautiful project like this.

    Till then! Keep up that great creativity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You did such an awesome job!! I wish I had one for my house :)

    Thank you SO much for linking up! I love seeing your ideas and projects!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Melysa,
    Stopping by to let you know I featured your Damask Cabinet! Love Love it!
    Kim@madeinaday
    http://madeinaday.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Aww, thank you so much for the feature!!!

    XOXO, Melysa

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the black damask-elegant! I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love this effect. What type of paint did you use again? Black spray satin? and what was the detail paint. Was it a glossy? Thanks for your attention.

    becky@reinventingtheordinary.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I ended up using Krylon Black Satin spray. The gloss was just high gloss polyurethane.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is great! I love the stencil. I wanted to let you know that you won the Old Barm Rescue giveaway at The CSI Project. email me to claim your prize.
    dee@thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!