Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lysol No Touch Refill Hack

Maybe I should have named this one "I pinned it and did it" or "Hey, that swifter refill trick works for lots o' things".   Regardless of the title, I was so pleased that this worked!

My cousin gave me the Lysol No Touch Hand Soap Dispenser for Christmas and I LOVE IT!  
No seriously, I love it.
Even the big guy and little guy love it.


My system came with 2 soap refills, which was really nice.   It was Vanilla Sugar and Spice and made my powder room smell like cookies.  What is not to love about that!


Sadly there were two downfalls to this item:

1.  Michael washes his hands a lot (good thing), but love to take about three times the amount of soap if left unsupervised (not good thing).   I'd do in and find the entire sink filled with bubbles, but hey, his hands were spotless.

2.  The prices of refills.  While at Target a few months ago, I prices the refills and they were $4.  Yikes.    I remembered I had pinned the swifter refill tutorial on Pinterest ages ago and knew that may be the solution.


We finished the one bottle and were pretty low on the second, 
so I thought it would be a good time to try this out.  If it didn't work, we still had some soap 
for the powder room and I would just buy a refill.

The whole hack was very easy and took approximately 5 minutes,
of which most of that time was waiting for the water to boil.

The before shot.


Remove the soap container from the dispenser.
I read you can also pop off the tops with a butter knife, but this way 
was super simple.


Boil water and submerge the entire lid (cream section) into the water.
Hold for 10 seconds.
Sorry for the blurry pic.


Take a towel and pull. 
Mine came off immediately with no issues and I'm a weakling.


Grab your favorite soap and refill.


Replace the lid by pushing down until you hear the pop.


Add the soap back into the dispenser and you are done!
Told you it was easy.


Tada!

This inspired me so much, I finally did the same with my swifter refill 
AND
mopped my floors.
If you know me that is saying a ton.  :)


XOXO,
Photobucket




mop it up mondays feature













Linking up to these great parties:

Monday Craftomaniac *  Skip to my Lou * Mad in Crafts * Keeping It Simple * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * C.R.A.F.T. * Making The World Cuter * Alderberry Hill * So Very Creative * Singing Three Little Birds *Ask Anna * Get Outta My Head Please * Three Mango Seeds * Lisa's Craft Blog * Polly Want a Crafter * DIY Home Sweet Home * Sew Can Do *  Cooking with Karyn * An Original Belle * Destination: Craft * Toastie Studio * I should be mopping the floor * Everything Under the Moon

Tuesday - Tip Junkie * Sugarbee Crafts * Funky Polkadot Giraffe * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Crafty Confessions * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Not Just a Housewife * Project Queen *A Diamond in the Stuff * Cherished Bliss * Blackberry Vine * Uncommon * The Southern Product Queen
Wednesday - Someday Crafts *Sew Much Ado * Tea Rose Home *A Little Tipsy * The Thrifty Home * Fireflies and Jellybeans * My Girlish Whims * Gingersnap Crafts *  Raegun Wear * The CSI Project* The Stuff of Success * Lil' Luna * The Sasse Life * Fine Craft Guild * Embracing Change * Go Team Duncan
Thursday - Somewhat Simple * The Shabbycreek Cottage * The 36th Avenue * Thrifty 101 * A Creative Princess * House of Hepworths * The Artsy Girl Connection * Katie's Nesting Spot * Between U and Me * A Glimpse Inside * Christina's Adventures * Made in a Day * Adventures in Dinner * 52 Mantels
Friday - Thirty Handmade Days * Romantic Home *Tatertots and Jello* Simply Designing * Creation Corner * Blissful and Domestic * Young and Crafty * Delicate Construction * Happy Hour Projects * Sassy Sites * A Blonde's DIY Life * Whipperberry * Little Inspiration * Serenity Now * Here Comes The Sun * Tidy Mom * Raising Oranges * Happy Go Lucky * The Grant Life * Toys in the Dryer * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Bacon Time * At the Picket Fence * Miss Mustard Seed
Saturday - Positively Splendid.com * Be Different Act Normal * Family Ever After *Lovely Crafty Home * Lollyjane * Funky Junk Interiors * Too Much Time On My Hands * Six Sisters Stuff * Country Momma Cooks * Nutmeg Place
Sunday - The Girl Creative *The DIY Showoff * Nifty Thrifty Things *Petite Hermine * I Heart Naptime * Flamingo Toes * Cherished Treasures *My 1929 Charmer * Embellishing Life Everyday * Sunday Social * Sassafras Salvation

27 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you!! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been buying the refills at Costco ($10 for 4) but this is SO MUCH BETTER. I have seen the other pins, but always wondered if it would work for the Lysol dispenser.

    I was worried that once I had the lid off, that it wouldn't go back on.. but it sounds like it was no sweat.

    I am DEFINITELY trying this. Thanks so much for posting (and linking up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did just snap back in with no issues! Glad you liked the tip. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh,my goodness. What a coincidence! I saw this at my daughter's house and loved it so my other daughter gave me hers. She said she had such a small space it kept oozing out all over the place, but I love it! Thanks for showing how to refill it cheaply. Linda

    http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2012/03/green-spring-wreath-with-daisies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was able to get the starter kits REALLY cheap with coupons at CVS a while ago, but I can't bring myself to buy the refills. Thank you, totally trying this! -Kelly @ Semi Homemade Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, the refills are so expensive - for soap! So this is really cool, use your own soap and you are good to go. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We buy the method foaming wash refills at Amazon - so much cheaper than Target! I'm not sure if they have the gel refills but it's worth a look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl... you are so smart! I will have to try it out! Thanks so much for sharing at our Uncommonly Yours link party! Hope to see you next week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd never heard of these handsoap dispensers, but I'm glad you linked up to show how to get around buying those refills. This is one of my top five picks for the week and I'll be featuring you this weekend and hope you'll come back again. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea! Now i can see myself buying this dispenser. I would not buy it before because the refills are so outrageously priced!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this! I have refilled mine but getting the lid off was a real pain with the technique I was using. So much so that I had my husband do it for me. It was such a hassle that I gave up!

    I can't wait to try this boiling method!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this, Melysa! I'm featuring this at my party later today! It's genius!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, this was the top viewed link at So Very Creative this past week! Thanks for linking up!!!
    http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool idea Melysa!
    Thanks for coming by to link up to my party - it was nice to have you here! Please come back!
    STacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so helpful! I tried to refill mine by popping the lid off and then it leaked everywhere so I can't wait to try this...I'd love for you to share this at Mix it up Monday:

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2012/03/mix-it-up-monday_18.html

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I JUST KNOW how that feels. You tried it, it works, and it was easy! Good for you.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have wanted to try one of these since they came out but with 5 in the house who (thankfully) wash A LOT it was too expensive to buy refills. I think I'll take the plunge and try it now! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great idea. I would love for you to link up at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-6.html

    PS: I am your newest Linky Follower!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Fabulous Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tip! I have been considering buying the new kitchen version because this was such a success in my classroom (other than the kids waving their hand under the sensor too many times!) but did not want to have to shell out for a teeny, tiny bottle of soap. Happy to know that I can customize it once the original soap runs out.

    Thanks,

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just did this and it went perfect! I got hand soap from the dollar store and saved so much money!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will definately be using this tip. I love this for the dispenser for my kitchen too and I was just getting to the point where I would need a refill.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!